After the settlement of the new inhabitants coming from Ibiza in the late 17th century, the Sa Tanca Vella church was clearly not enough. In 1726 construction on the new church got underway, which has a totally fortified appearance in order to serve as a refuge for the island’s inhabitants. The church was the only place of refuge until the Sa Guardiola defence tower was built in S’Espalmador in 1749, which had cannons which ended up being sent to other newer defence towers.
The baptismal font is an interesting feature whose origins are unknown, which has given rise to several different hypothesis, including that it might have come from a monastery that a community of Augustine monks had in La Mola in the 13th century.
Images are under copyright © formentera photography